Friday, April 29, 2011

buildingSmart MESH Seminar Series

Blog entry by: Dominik Holzer

Under the ‘Mesh’ logo, buildingSmart Australia organised a conference series in several Australian capital cities, weaving together multiple aspects of design technology, collaboration and product lifecycle data.
Some of the questions raised during Mesh were as follows: How do we collaborate with multi-disciplinary models; what opportunities are there for optimisation, improved environmental performance, sustainability, life cycle assessment? How is planning compliance, Local Government management, etc affected? How do modellers get access to life-cycle product data?
The Mesh organisers asked me to present on the topic of  ‘Integrated Design’, with a particular focus on cultural change and the use of tools to assist with this endeavour. In my address, I pointed out the effort that is still required for us to design in a truly integrated way. Whereas design, analysis, documentation and fabrication tools are converging, we still need to change our mindset and address cultural issues that prevent us from connecting design intelligence on projects. In order to prove my point, I illustrated the progress that was made at Arup with the DesignLink tool helped to develop during my three year research with them. I also highlighted the efforts undertaken by my students at RMIT University in considering multiple building performance aspects and combining parametric design with performance optimisation to enrich the conceptual design process.

The day finished with a panel discussion that I co-hosted together with Matthew Brown (PS QDPW), Carl Agar (NDY), David Sutherland (FKA), John Pitt (Pitt and Sherry), and Alastair Woodard (ALCAS).

No comments:

Post a Comment